Community outreach is a natural outgrowth of my research and teaching around topics relating to social change. Some happens at Bluffton University, some happens in local high schools, and some happens elsewhere.
Outreach at Bluffton University
- Organizer, Spanish Immersion Day (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Member, Women’s Studies Committee (2014-present)
- “Me gusta la gasolina: Music, Sex and Relationships.” Bluffton University Sexuality Series Event, Bluffton OH. February 11, 2015.
- Faculty Advisor, Sexuality Series (2015)
- Faculty Member, Campus Conduct Board (2015)
- Supervisor, undergraduate student research for new placement test (2014-2015)
- Spanish Recruitment and Hispanic Student Retention Initiative (2014-2015)
- Evaluator, Multiculturalism in Education Project (2014)
Outreach in High Schools
- “El español en la universidad.” Presentation to Wayne Trace High School students, Haviland, OH. April 23, 2015.
- “Pathways to College.” Presentation to Goshen High School Latino/a Students. Goshen, IN. April 21, 2015.
- “Mirando hacia México y Latinoamérica.” Spanish Immersion Day Presentation to regional High School Students, Bluffton OH. April 10, 2015.
- “Español y la enseñanza.” Presentation to Carey High School, Carey, OH. Mar 13, 2014.
- “Español como oportunidad.” Presentation to Ada Exempted Village High School, Ada, OH. Mar 11, 2014.
- “Aprender y viajar en Latinoamérica.” Presentation to Hardin Northern High School, Washington, OH. Jan 7, 2014.
Professional Outreach and Service
- Member, LASA Mexico Section Executive (2015-present)
- Reviewer, LASA Mexico Section Dissertation Award (2014-2015)
- Batahola Norte Cultural Center, Project Education Translator, 2013-presentCasa de los Amigos (Quaker House), Mexico City, Migrant Program Volunteer, 2012.
- “Representaciones de la mujer en tres comedias románticas.” PechaKucha Cultural Evening, Spoke Club, Toronto, ON. Sept 28, 2011.
- Casa Canadiense Board Member, Toronto, ON (Casa Canadiense leads service and learning trips to Nicaragua), 2009-2010.
- “International Service and Learning: Reflections from Nicaragua.” University of Toronto, Toronto, ON. Feb 10, 2010. Presentation to Wycliffe College Master of Theological Studies Students.